Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Talk "Money Talks" (Part Two)

Prior to today's inauguration of the 15th President of the Philippines, the stock market hit a 2-year high at 3,374. The index had been testing the resistance of 3,365 for some time now and if you want further analysis, check out this index TA by Absolute Traders. Bright prospects remain for the local index. In fact, the local stock market has not been moving in sync with the US market and that's a good thing.

But, how our market will withstand the triple digit drop of the DOW (below 10,000) the other night remains to be seen. With the weak June jobs data in the US, I'm doubtful the US markets will recover from Tuesday's fall. The resilience of the Philippine market will surely be tested tomorrow.

The new President's speech was laden with the usual big promises like fighting poverty, tackling corruption, and us becoming an investor friendly nation. While I hope the President can deliver on all three, the last one is something I hope he can really achieve. The Philippines has been the cellar dweller in Asia as investors poured money into China, Vietnam, and even Thailand. I'm quite optimistic that we have more to offer given our English language advantage.

Being a lover of words, I also loved the coining of the word P. Noy, a word play on the term for the Filipino everyman and President Noynoy. Amazing.

Then, there was the part on the wangwang and counterflow in the President's speech. I think that struck a chord in a lot of people and I hope he takes up that promise. I long for the day when PUV's follow simple traffic rules. If you want to see how brazen they are, just go to the corner of Recto and J Abad Santos Streets. The entire Recto acts like a jeepney terminal.

I'm making all these Presidential talk because in the Money Talks forum, it was said that the local stock market rose in each of the first year of a new Administration. Against this backdrop are healthy profits from local corporations. This should continue to provide impetus for the market.

Apart from this, it was also mentioned that local money is the one leading the rally in the local market. I've been harboring that idea and I think I blogged about it in one of my older posts (I will have to look through them though). This means Filipinos are looking beyond savings deposits, time deposits, and real estate as means to realize their financial dreams.

And, that to me is a very good thing.

P.S. Stock picks from Money Talks to be featured in my next post. See you there!

No comments:

Investor Discretion Advised.

Investments involve risks. Investor discretion is advised. Further, great lengths have been made to ensure information accuracy. However, I'm only human so if you see any mistakes, do point them out. Thanks and please come back! Remember, appreciate the capital but appreciate the risk!